Tuesday, January 27, 2015

HERS SCORE, Energy Efficiency



Every new Orlando home must provide it's HERS score prior to issuance of a building permit. The home must score 100 points or less. The lower the HERS score the less energy the home will consume when occupied. The score is calculated by and Independent Energy Rater. 

The most exciting part of the HERS score and using an Energy Rater is calculating what if scenarios. 

What if we use:
Thermopane windows?
Radiant roof sheathing?
Solar hot water heating?
More insulation?
LED lighting?
Higher SEER ratings for HVAC systems?

The what if scenarios for new products is almost endless. 

Our homebuyers always ask, what product will provide the fastest return on my investment in energy saving products? Exactly!

If I'm willing to invest an additional $20,000 in energy efficiency what is my payback period?

Mike, how much green can you put in my pocket! Exactly!

I'm willing to invest in energy efficiency in my home but I may not live in my house for more than 10 years. 

Tell me which products will provide a maximum return on my investment in a period of less than 10 years?

Regal Classic Homes works an Owner/Builder/Energy Rater generated list to provide that information for our Clients.

Frankly, it's one of the best things to happen to home building. Now we can evaluate energy saving products by an independent measuring device. No more, Uncle Joe said, I should make sure I install some new, fangled, energy saving product, that's the best thing since sliced bread! Now, it's not the Builders word against beloved, Uncle Joe it's a product evaluated independently. Finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment