Friday, January 30, 2015

I'll try!

I'll try

The built in excuse words!

Custom Home building is full of people that say, "I'll try to be there or I'll try to finish by Tuesday". It's the built in excuse for not accomplishing something. In fact, it's an excuse before they even start! In the real world, people say what they are going to do and then do it.

When a Subcontractor tells me I'll try to be there on Wednesday, my usual response is, I'll remember that when I try to write your check for payment. That usually gets my point across. 

I've banned "I'll try" from my vocabulary. I've encouraged our other team members to ban those words too. 

Adults say what they are going to do and then do it. 

At the end of each week our Clients receive an updated "Status Report". It shows what was accomplished this week on their custom home, what will be accomplished next week, what I need from them to keep the project on schedule and re- confirms when their home will be completed. Every week!

Of course, there are weeks when not everything we scheduled gets completed but our Clients always know what's happening on their home. If something didn't happen it's our fault. Usually, we accomplish more than projected. 

Our Clients enjoy reading the Weekly Status Reports. 

1 comment:

  1. Try is not in your vocabulary. You always make it happen for new and remodeled homes

    ReplyDelete