Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Should I Install A Floor Safe For Valuables In My New Custom Home?

Www.regalclassichomes.com

 

Should I Install A Floor Safe For Valuables In My New Custom Home?

 


I’m certainly not a security expert but as a Homeowner and Custom Home Builder, I’ve had some experience with security. Over the years, I’ve had Owners ask me to provide and install floor safes. 

I buy the floor safe from my supplier in the size requested and install the safe prior to pouring the slab for their home. The concrete is poured over steel flanges that are provide on the exterior of the safe and I place additional steel reinforcing rods to make the installation even more secure. That safe is not coming out of the floor unless the burglars have a lot of time and a jackhammer. 

Additionally, I leave a thin layer of concrete over the opening to the safe so workman are not aware of the safe. The safe company comes out when the home is completed, removesv the thin layer of concrete and install the door and lock to the safe. Finally, a metal plate is installed and then the caret in pulled over the location. The location is secret. 

The problem with floor safes is not the security of the safe, it’s access. The floor safes are usually installed in the master bedroom closet in a corner. You have to get on your hands and knees, pull back clothes and dial in the combination. It’s dark in the corner of the closet and it’s difficult to see what you are doing. It’s not very convenient at all. In fact, I have a floor safe in my master closet that I never use. I wish I never spent the money. 

I suggest a safe where it’s location is more convenient. Perhaps, a wall safe, located in a hallway, close to a light source so you can see what you are doing. Yes, I agree, its’ not as secure as a floor safe but I you really want security, use a safety deposit box at your local bank. I like a location where I can conveniently access valuables. 

Remember, you have homeowner insurance for jewelry and other items in you home. Cash on hand is where having convenient access to cash becomes important. So now you know the answer to:

Should I Install A Floor Safe For Valuables In My New Custom Home?

 

Read More............

 

Have an awesome day! 

 

Mike

 

 

www.regalclassichomes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment