Monday, May 11, 2015

Should I Upgrade My Air conditioning System To Save Money?

Should I Upgrade My Air conditioning System To Save Money?

Well, that depends? In the Orlando area the current building code requires a minimum SEER of 13 for your HVAC system. If you don't care how long it takes to recover your initial investment, get the highest SEER level that manufacturers make. On the other hand, if your goal is to recover your investment as quickly as possible, upgrading to a SEER 14 is the way to go.

Each home and it's variables (block, frame,type of windows, insulation etc.) are different. Most HVAC contractors have a Certified Energy Rater on staff that can run the numbers for you and tell you exactly how long the payback period is for each SEER level installed in your home.

For example, in a recent Central Florida Home we built, a SEER 14 level HVAC unit took just 5.5 years to recover their investment. On the other hand, the next highest SEER of 16 took 18.8 years. Way too long for most homeowners, unless they expect to live in their home 18 years or more.

I question weather a 16 SEER system will even last that long in the Orlando area.

I recommend a SEER level of 14 to my Customers as the cost for each additional SEER level has diminishing returns on additional dollars invested.

No comments:

Post a Comment