Friday, July 8, 2016

Part 11- How To Replace A Leaking 2nd Floor Balcony Deck & Make It Bullet Proof?

www.regalclassichomes.com

 

Part 11- How To Replace A Leaking 2nd Floor Balcony Deck & Make It Bullet Proof?

 


Above Photo: Tile floor complete with grout, 2nd coat of sealer and concrete balustrade railing.

 

The floor is now complete and crack control joints installed. Why can't you see them? A void was left between the tile at control join locations. Caulk was provided in the joints and grout placed over the flexible caulking. This allows the floor to move without cracking the tile and the grout over the caulk makes the floor match the rest of the grout joints and look pretty.

Now one of the most important parts! Don't let anyone penetrate the deck! This job has concrete balustrade that is grouted to the tile. I purposely did not use wrought iron railings! I can't tell you how I have to fight with wrought iron railing installers. They all want to screw their railings to the deck. NOT! I know, they do it all the time but not on one of my homes!

Notice the drainage scuppers at the bottom of the precast railing. Positive drainage, I like that!

Do you see the precast caps on top of the column? I did that for a reason. It seals the top of the column better than stucco even though the columns are wrapper in peel and stick, self sealing membrane under the paper backed lath, material. I even had my guy seal the porous concrete column caps just in case. Ok, I'm particular but isn't that the kind of Builder you want to construct your Custom Home?

30 years of Building Custom Homes teaches me to think through what I'm doing. A balcony deck has to be almost perfect for it to last. I've learned many of my lessons the hard way and paid for them too, so you don't have to!

 

Have an awesome day!

 

Mike

 

www.regalclassichomes.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment