Saturday, February 14, 2015

What type of mulch is best?

What type of mulch is best?

Someone in my Orlando neighborhood asked for my opinion on mulch selection so I thought I would pass this on. 
                 
Hi Mike - What kind of mulch is best ??  We have always gotten that red mulch but want your opinion - one of my friends said, cypress - the big pine bark is supposed to attract roaches, yuk - so what do you think ???  

I prefer the non colored cypress mulch.  It does not have dyes and mats together.  I like the natural look of mulch instead of the colored type.  Beyond looks, there are other issues.  As I mentioned, the cypress shreds mat together and is less likely to wash away in a hard rain.  

I like the look of the pine bark and it is more environmentally friendly but, it washes away too easily.  As far as bugs are concerned I think they are both susceptible to attracting bugs but that's a by product of what mulch does.  It shuts out the sunlight and makes it difficult for vegetation to grow.  Since it is dark and wet, it attracts bugs.  On the other hand I have not found the bugs in the mulch to be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment