Monday, February 23, 2015

Hardwood Flooring Placement

Hardwood Flooring Placement

In the real world, toilets overflow, refrigerators leak and accidents happen.  
Families have children, pets and all the other things that make a house a home.
People will say, put hardwood flooring in your kitchen, foyer, bathroom or main traffic areas but I would advise differently.

Hardwood flooring does not hold up well in these areas. I know, people will tell you differently but in my humble opinion experience teaches me not to advise it.

Foyer- It's a high traffic area and the first place we step when entering a home. Dirt and sand is tough on hardwood finishes. Better to use a more durable material like tile or stone.

Use hardwood in low traffic areas like, living room, master bedroom, dining room and avoid main traffic areas.

Kitchen- you must be joking? Grease, water, spills, certainly not a place for a wood product that doesn't tolerate abuse.

Bathroom- Bath tubs flood, toilets overflow, I suggest you pass on placing hardwood flooring close to any wet area.

Some people may disagree with me, especially interior designers but with more than 30 years of home building experience, the above is what I recommend for your custom built home.

No comments:

Post a Comment